A plan to relocate a historic market in the Lower East Side to a location across the street is underway. The Essex Street Market was first purposed by Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia in 1934, a time when street vendors were competing for space with pushcarts and a booming immigrant population. Vendors would find relief in 1940 with the development of an indoor retail space that would become the Essex Street Market, serving the community with flowers, meat, and clothing for over seventy years. The restored neon was originally displayed above the meat market in Building D, which was one of the four separate buildings the market was divided into. The type face used in the restored exterior and interior neon was based on the typeface used in the original sign.